This job offering is in the energy storage systems (ESS) group of LG Chem, which develops lithium-ion batteries for the stationary market. This market is growing fast due to increasing penetration of intermittent renewable generation resources, the superior performance of ESS compared to conventional gas plants in applications such as frequency response, and falling battery prices. In this rapidly growing market, LG Chem has a leading position due to its advanced technology, superior product offerings, and strong financial and commercial strength. LG Chem offers products for all the different sectors of this market i.e. residential, commercial & industrial, grid-scale, and UPS, and in all scales, namely, kW/kWh to multi-MW/MWh. LG Chem currently has deployments of over 4 GWh with a diverse and large customer base including project developers, utilities, energy service providers, data center and home owners.
The battery systems engineer is expected to contribute in a diverse set of areas: application engineering, take technical responsibility for customer accounts including those in the multi-million dollar range and perform product definition of next generation batteries. The successful candidate must have a strong background in energy systems and is expected to develop expertise in batteries, power electronics, power systems, thermal management and software. This position offers the opportunity to work with and be responsible for the accounts of leading renewable energy, utility and high-tech companies. The ideal candidate must be independent, flexible, have an appetite for learning and contributing in a broad range of topics, eager to take on roles with increasing responsibility, and be able to work in a small US-based team of engineers within a large global organization.The LG Group has identified ESS as one of the company’s top ten future growth opportunities – and so this represents an opportunity to join a highly successful, global company at an early stage in its anticipated growth.
RequirementsThe successful candidate will work closely with other teams of LG Chem including those in the US and in South Korea. Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform optimal battery sizing using battery performance, thermal and aging models. This includes analyzing customer load profiles and tailoring the sizing for the particular profile
- Perform the role of a technical customer account manager. Customer accounts typically range from the several hundred thousand to multi-million dollars, and are in all ESS markets. In this role, the successful candidate will need to understand customer requirements and objectives, generate technical designs and proposals, and answer customer questions. In-depth understanding of LG Chem’s electrical, mechanical and software sub-systems and how LG Chem’s batteries are integrated into ESS products is required.
- Perform analysis of field issues, and develop solutions for them.
- Be a technical lead with assigned equipment partners/suppliers, such as enclosure system providers and power electronics manufacturers.
- Develop expertise on local codes & standards at battery and system level (e.g. NFPA 70, UL 9540), and understand their impact on LG products (existing and future).
- Define next generation technical product requirements based on customer interactions, local codes and standards, competitor analysis and trends in ESS components such as power electronics, thermal management and enclosures.
- Professional, highly motivated individual with a strong results-oriented work ethic. A strong team player who thrives in a role that requires significant individual contributions and depends on the successful collaboration between North America and South Korea-based team members.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with a minimum of supervision.
- Eager to learn and contribute in a diverse set of topics; must be flexible in terms of tasks assigned.
- Comfortable working beyond normal office hours as required to meet customer expectations; an ability to travel within the US and South Korea (approx. 20%).
- Experience and know-how in modeling and simulations, preferably in the energy domain. Experience in software such as Matlab or similar and languages such as C or similar is expected.
- System level expertise of one or more energy efficiency/energy technologies (e.g. photovoltaics, wind, fuel cells, batteries, heating/cooling systems) is required. Know-how in lithium-ion batteries is preferred.
- Experience in the energy industry and of engaging with electric utilities, project developers and technical consultants would be highly desirable.
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical and project management skills.
- Excellent communication skills: verbal, written, and presentation.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline (Chemical, Mechanical, Aerospace or Electrical Engineering preferred) + 3 years professional experience or a Master’s degree in a technical discipline (Chemical, Mechanical, Aerospace or Electrical Engineering preferred) is required